When I’m home, I like to eat healthy. I’m also usually on deadline for a story and don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen, which is why I’m a big fan of simple meals that are easy to make with 5 ingredients or less.
This mixed bowl of goodness came about one night when I threw a bunch of left overs together. Turned out to be so tasty that it’s now a regular weekly thing.
I love it because it’s colorful, the bitterness of the rapini pairs well with the sweet potato, and the quinoa is full of protein. It’s vegetarian and gluten-free too. It’s healthy and easy to make. What’s not to love?
|5 Ingredient Dinner: Roasted Sweet Potato With Quinoa|| |
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into half inch pieces
- ½ bunch rapini (about 2 cups raw), wash and cut the stems short
- ½ red onion, chopped into 1 inch slices
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- First start by dry toasting the quinoa. Place a one quart pot on medium heat and add the dry quinoa (no oil.) The quinoa will start to pop and smell a little like popcorn. Let it toast for 2-3 minutes or until the color starts to turn dark. After toasting, add water and cook according to the package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, then add the onions. Once the onions have started to soften a bit, add the rapini and cook until the leaves are bright green and wilted. Remove the onions and rapini from the skillet and set aside in a large bowl. Cover to preserve the heat.
- Add the sweet potato chunks to the same skillet and cook until tender and browned on the edges, about 10 minutes.
- By this time, your quinoa should be done. Scoop a spoonful of quinoa into a bowl, then layer the sweet potato, onions, and rapini on top. Add salt and pepper to taste.