This summer farro salad with crisp cucumbers and tangy blueberries seasoned with lemon and thyme is my new lunchtime favorite. In fact, I crave it! It’s inspired by a new cookbook I’ve been reading, The Nordic Way.
Farro Salad – The Perfect Carb-To-Protein Ratio
The premise of The Nordic Way is to deliciously combine the perfect carb-to-protein ratio in a single meal. Though, it is not really a diet, but more of nourishing, soul-satisfying meal plan led by science and influenced by Hygge.
The Nordic Way, and this recipe in particular, reminds me of gourmet spa food that tastes delicious and makes you feel like you’re doing something good for yourself.
Whenever I get home from a culinary-focused trip, with all the indulgences that go along with travel, I crave veggies. And this simple farro salad makes eating healthy fun and something I look forward to.
Because of the protein in the farro and cottage cheese, it is filling! After having a bowl of this farro salad with lemon and berries, I’m not even tempted to snack. The original recipe called for rye berries, which I had a hard time finding, even at our local Whole Foods and Fresh Market. So, I instead I made it with farro, and I added cucumbers for a refreshing crunch. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Farro Salad With Lemon & Berries
Interested in getting a copy of The Nordic Way to try similar recipes? We’ll be doing a giveaway later this week, so be sure to sign up for our newsletter to be notified about the giveaway.Print
- 1 cup Farro
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh is fine)
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, then add the farro and reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 25 minutes until tender.
- While the farro is cooking, prep and dice the cucumber. If your’e using frozen blueberries, take them out of the freezer to thaw.
- Once the farro is done cooking, allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Then add the cucumber, cottage cheese, blueberries, and thyme.
- Zest the lemon over the bowl of farro, then squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Add the oil, salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
Want to save it for later? Pin it! 🙂