- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks (brought to room temperature)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Nutella
- Using a fork, whisk together egg yolks and sugar in a medium-sized bowl until the volume doubles (becomes frothy) and the color becomes a light yellow. Set aside.
- Add the milk and cream to a medium saucepan on low-to-medium heat. Blend the milk and cream by slowly mixing using a wooden spoon or whisk until a foam forms around the edges.
- Next, add the egg and sugar mixture to the saucepan with milk and cream. Continually stir until well blended and the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon. Add the Nutella. Lick your spoon.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve or fine strainer into a bowl. This will remove any solid pieces of egg and create a more smooth even texture. Cover and chill the gelato mixture for a minimum of four hours.
- Finally, add the gelato mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Serve straight from the ice cream maker or spoon into a container, cover and freeze. Makes 1 pint.
Keywords: nutella gelato