- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 3-pound chicken, cut into quarters (or 4–6 boneless chicken breasts)
- 2 large Spanish onions, chopped into eighths
- 1 large green pepper, chopped into eights
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup small green peas, cooked
- 2 roasted red peppers, cut into strips
- Using a mortar and pestle, pulverize the saffron to create a powder.
- In a small saucepan, heat chicken stock and add saffron. Allow saffron to dissolve; keep warm until use.
- In a large ovenproof casserole, heat olive oil on stove and cook chicken until skin is golden brown on both sides. Remove chicken and set aside.
- In same casserole dish and oil, sauté the onion, green pepper, tomatoes, and garlic until onion is transparent. Scrape bottom of pan to loosen any chicken drippings.
- Add chicken stock, salt, bay leaf, and rice; stir well. Return chicken to pan. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and bake in oven at 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until chicken and rice is done.
- Sprinkle with wine and garnish with peas and roasted red peppers. Serves 4 to 6.
- Cuisine: Spanish
Keywords: chicken and rice, saffron,