- 2 Tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbl Unsalted Butter
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Carrots, Peeled and Diced
- 2 Celery Stalks, Diced
- 1 Cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Sliced
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- 3 Tbl Harissa (North African Chili Paste)
- 2 tsps Hungarian Paprika
- 2 tsps ground Cumin
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- ½–3/4 cup Dry Sherry or White Wine
- 1–28 oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- ¼ Cup Cilantro, Chopped
- ¼ Cup Italian Parsley, Chopped
- 3–4 oz Bittersweet Chocolate
- 2 Tbl Honey or to Taste
- Queso Fresco, Goat Cheese or Crème Fraiche to Garnish
- Heat oil and butter in a stock pot over medium high heat until butter melts.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent, approx. 5 mins. Add garlic, carrots, celery and sun dried tomatoes.
- Season with salt, pepper, harissa, paprika, cumin and coriander. Saute for a couple of minute to toast spices and soften vegetables.
- Add wine and continue cooking on high until all of the liquid has evaporated. Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 45 mins or until the vegetables are tender.
- Pass soup through a food mill or blender to puree and remove any large particles. Return soup to pot and place over low heat.
- Add parsley and cilantro. Add chocolate and enough honey to balance acidity. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with queso fresco, fresh goat cheese or crème fraiche.
- Cuisine: North African
Keywords: Soup, Tomato Soup, Savory Chocolate Recipe