- 2 Cups white flour
- 1/2 Cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 Cup honey
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, baked
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans (1/2 cup for topping)
- 2 Tbsp turbinado sugar (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Wash 2 sweet potatoes and poke holes in skin with fork. Wrap the sweet potatoes in foil and bake for 45 minutes to an hour until soft.
- Using a wire whisk, mix dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground flax seeed and spices) in large bowl.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl. Blend honey and oil in with the eggs, then pour mixture into the bowl with flour.
- Scoop the baked sweet potato out of the skins and measure out two cups. Add the sweet potato and one cup of the pecans to batter (set aside the remaining half cup for topping) Fold the mixture together by hand using a large spoon or fork.
- Spoon muffin batter into greased muffin pan (or muffin cups). Sprinkle tops of muffins with remaining pecans and turbinado sugar and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes, then serve!
I like to use pecans since it reminds me of a sweet potato casserole. But you could also use walnuts, or even add a cup of dried cranberries too.
If you’d like the muffins to be more sweet and dessert-like, replace the honey with 3/4 cup of sugar.
You can substitute apple sauce for the oil.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American