- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Cream of Tarter
- 1 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Stick (1/2 Cup) Cold Butter, cubed
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Candied Ginger, cubed
- 1/3 Cup Molasses
- 1/3 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 2 tsp orange juice
- Heat oven to 350.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cream of tarter, and ground ginger to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Next, add the butter and press into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork until the butter is blended into the flour and it looks a little lumpy.
- Add the brown sugar and to the flour mixture and stir together. Once it is well blended, add 1/4 cup of candied ginger and mix.
- Heat the milk on the stove or in the microwave until it’s warm, but not boiling. Pour the molasses into the milk and stir until the molasses is dissolved. Then pour the molasses milk into the flour and gently stir together until it’s the consistency of a soft cookie dough.
- Transfer dough into greased bread pan and bake for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (You may need a little longer depending on your oven)
- While the gingerbread is baking, you can prepare the glaze.
- Whisk the confectioners sugar with the orange juice until the sugar is completely dissolved and it is the consistency of a syrup.
- Once the bread is done baking, let it cool for 1 hour. Drizzle with glaze and the rest of the candied ginger.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Welsh