- 2 Cups Oatmeal
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil or Butter
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Boiling Water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water (add a little more water if needed).
- Combine dry ingredients with butter, then add dissolved baking soda.
- Mold into a dough ball, then press it out onto a baking sheet. You can roll it out with a dough pin to make it thin as you want it to be about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cover and chill for 10-15 minutes to firm up the dough, then remove and score down the middle and across to make 8-10 squares (you’ll use these lines for clean cuts after it’s done baking).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until they are golden brown. They should be crisp and crunchy, not chewy.
- Separate the cakes along the score lines with a thin knife and then allow them to cool.
- Enjoy with your favorite coffee or tea or add them to your day pack for some quick energy during a hike or a long road trip.
- Category: Canadian
- Cuisine: Breakfast