This corn avocado salad is one of my favorite side dishes to serve with grilled chicken or fish. Plus, it’s a crowd-pleasing side dish to bring to barbecues too. It’s similar to Esquites, a Mexican Corn Salad, but without the dairy and the heat. (Although, I do love esquites). This corn avocado salad is more zesty than spicy, and is definitely refreshing on a hot summer day. The crunch of the corn, butteriness of the avocado, sharpness of the fresh chive, and tang from the lime – it’s definitely one of my favorite summer salads.
Corn Avocado Salad
I think you’ll love it too because it’s so easy to toss together with really only five main ingredients. First, you need corn. You can use fresh-from-the-ear corn, but a bag of frozen organic corn is great too. Add to that a couple of Haas avocados, grape tomatoes, a squeeze of lime along with some olive oil and salt and pepper from your pantry — and you’re set!
We love to bring this to barbecues as a side dish along with a pitcher of summer sangria. But you could always add queso fresco or grilled shrimp or chicken to make it a cool summer meal at home too!
- 3 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- 2 Haas avocados
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chives
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prep the corn by cutting it away from the cob and sauteeing with a bit of oil until the corn has softened, but not browned. If using a bag of frozen corn, follow the instructions on the package for thawing or cooking.
- Once the corn is prepped, slice each of the grape tomatoes in half and add to the bowl of corn.
- Slice each avocado in half, remove the pit, scoop the meat away from the skin with a spoon, and then dice the avocado into smaller pieces. Add to the bowl of corn.
- Chop the chives into 1/4 inch pieces, add to the bowl of corn, avocado, and tomato.
- Squeeze the lime juice over the bowl of corn, drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle on a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients together with salad tongs, and serve!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 56mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information provided only an estimate.