Sausage and onions are one of my husband Pete’s favorite meals, so I created a way to make it somewhat healthy (i.e. vegetables) with this Italian Sausage Skillet with cannellini beans, tomatoes, Italian sausage and spinach. Inspired by our recipe for Portuguese Sausage & Beans, this one-skillet dinner is low carb and faster to make. Some of my favorite meals to whip together on busy weekdays are always the ones that have just a handful of ingredients that I can quickly pick up at the store, and this easy dinner just has five!
Hope this easy Italian-inspired meal becomes one of your regular favorites too.
Italian Sausage Skillet
|Italian Sausage Skillet|| |
- 12 oz Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 14.5 oz can Italian spiced diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5 oz can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 oz fresh spinach
- Season with salt, pepper, olive oil, and fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Drizzle 1-2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet and set to medium heat.
- Once the oil is warm, add sausage and onions and sauté until browned. (Approx. 7-10 minutes)
- Add the can of tomatoes and stir until the sauce starts to bubble. Then add the beans and spinach, and cover for 2-3 minutes until the spinach wilts.
- Once the spinach has wilted, mix together with the rest of the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Top with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Want to save this recipe? Pin it! 🙂