This easy orange glaze icing is finger-licking-good. It’s sweet zestiness will, as my Mom likes to say, knock you into next week. The ingredients are dangerously simple. I say dangerous because anything that tastes this good and is so quick to make can’t be good for your diet.
Easy Orange Glaze Icing – What You’ll Need
This recipe has only three ingredients. Though, you’ll need both the zest and the juice of the orange.
- 1 pound bag of confectioners sugar
- a large orange
- orange extract
Orange Glaze Icing: Step-By-Step Instructions
Even through the recipe is simple, I’ve included step-by-step photos for those of you who like a visual reference. First, start by pouring the sugar into a medium sized mixing bowl.
Next, zest the orange over the bowl. You could use a microplane zester right over the bowl. Or if you don’t have one, a cheese grater typically has a smaller plane for zesting. Just zest the orange over a plate and then add the zest to the sugar.
After zesting the orange, cut it in half and squeeze out the juice. Add the juice to the bowl with the powdered sugar and zest.
Now for some zing. If you want just a light flavored orange glaze icing, the zest and juice are enough. Mix together the three ingredients above and do a taste test before adding the orange extract.
Personally, I prefer a more robust orange flavor. So I like to add the orange extract since it turns the citrus up about 10 notches.
You can start by adding it in one 1/4 teaspoon at a time so it is flavored to your liking. I like to add a half teaspoon of orange extract.
As for recipes you can use this orange glaze icing on … there are so many! It goes great with cakes, breads, and even as a morning spread for toast. Try it out on the blueberry citrus scones. Then lick the bowl. Mmm.
- A 1lb bag of powdered sugar
- 1 large orange (for zest and juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- Pour the powdered sugar into a large bowl.
- Wash and dry the orange. Then grate the zest over the bowl of sugar.
- Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice into a small bowl. Remove any seeds.
- Pour the orange juice into the bowl of powdered sugar and zest.
- Add orange extract.
- Whisk all ingredients together until well blended.
- Use on scones, cookies, breads, or any other recipe where you'd like a sweet and zesty orange glaze.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 0gSugar: 38gProtein: 0g
Originally Posted Aug 2, 2009. Updated 2019.