This apple cider chicken is the perfect autumn salad for balancing out all those sweet pumpkin-flavored indulgences. It’s light, refreshing, eash-to-make, and has a great a autumn apple cider flavor with a bit of a sweet crunch from the crispy shallots. I like to make it with cress since it’s a nutritional power house packed full of vitamins to help give me a healthy boost during a hectic time of year. Cress is a bit tangy and bitter, so the sweetness of the apple cider complements it quite well. If you can’t find cress at your local grocer, arugula is a good alternative.
I adapted this from a scallop recipe from our local grocer since my husband Pete is allergic to shellfish. And because I was in the mood for something fall flavored that felt healthy, it’s become one of our weekday favorites when we need a quick diner. I hope you enjoy this apple cider chicken autumn salad as we do!
- 2 large chicken breasts (approx. 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 bag (4 ounces) garden cress
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1 Tbsp honey (or agave nectar)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 ounces shallots, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2–3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the shallots and garlic cloves and cook on medium heat until brown and crispy, but not burnt.
- While the garlic and shallots are frying, butterfly the chicken breasts so that you have four thin fillets. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of each fillet.
- Once the garlic and shallots are browned, pour them onto a plate layered with 2-3 paper towels to soak up the extra oil (similar to how you crisp bacon).
- Add the chicken fillets to the same pan. Cook on one side for 3-4 minutes until browned. Turn the chicken over and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes on the other side until brownd.
- Add 1 cup of the apple cider to the pan with chicken and cook an additional 4-5 minutes, occasionally spooning the apple cider over the chicken breasts.
- After the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan and allow to rest on a cutting board.
- Then, add an additional 1/2 cup of apple cider, 1 Tbsp of honey, and 2 Tbsp butter to the same pan and whisk until blended. Once butter as melted into the apple cider, turn off the heat.
- This recipe is enough to feed four, but if you’re making dinner for two, the left overs are delicious. Just hold off on the dressing for the left overs.
- Place one cup of cress onto each plate.
- Slice the chicken breast and arrange on the cress. Sprinkle with crispy shallots and crushed walnuts. Spoon on the warm apple cider dressing from the pan. Enjoy!
- Category: Main Dishes
- Cuisine: American