German Apple Pancake vs Dutch Baby
Ingredients – Here’s What You’ll Need
Ready to make this recipe? Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- light brown sugar
German Apple Pancake Recipe: Step-by-Step Photos
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. While the oven is pre-heating, core and slice the apples.
Create the batter for your German apple pancake. In a blender mix the eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon, until well blended.
To bake the German apple pancake, you’ll need a cast iron skillet or pie pan. An enameled skillet works great too. Add butter to the dish and place it in the oven until the butter is melted.
Carefully remove the pie dish or skillet from the oven. Then, add in single layer apple slices. Don’t forget your oven mitts! The dish may still be hot from melting the butter.
Next, pour the German apple pancake batter over apples.
Sprinkle the top of the German apple pancake with brown sugar and bake for 45 minutes to one hour.
When it’s done, it’s delish. Every bit as sweet as it looks and sounds. Besides breakfast, I would also put this down in my list of desserts. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it’s a great alternative to apple pie.
Slice up and serve like a pie. Enjoy!
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups milk
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 stick butter
- 3 apples, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. While the oven is pre-heating, core and slice the apples.
- Mix the eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon in a blender to make the German apple pancake batter. Pulse the ingredients together until well blended.
- In a 12-inch dish (a pie pan or skillet both work great), add butter and place it in the oven until the butter is melted.
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven. Adda single layer apple slices to the pan with the melted butter, then pour pancake batter over the apples. Sprinkle the top with brown sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve immediately with warm maple syrup. Serves 6-8.
Serve with bacon or a slice of grilled ham and fresh fruit.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 151mgSodium: 364mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 18gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information provided is only an estimate.
Here Are More Popular Breakfast Recipes To Try!
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- German Muesli
- Classic Pancakes
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
The recipe originally published on Inn The Kitchen, Aug 1, 2009. Updated 2022.