This autumn-inspired salad is one of my favorite pear recipes as it’s a great way to indulge in some fall flavors without the guilt. As I’ve mentioned before (and as evident on my Instagram feed), food is a big part of the reason I travel. When I’m visiting another city or country, I love to taste all the flavors they have to offer. I eat everything! But when I’m home, I tend to cut out dairy, bread, and added sugar in order to counter my over-indulgence while jaunting the globe.
But, since I’m a foodie at heart, I need colorful and deliciously nutritious things to keep from being bored with regular whole foods, so I’m constantly on the search for a creative way to mix together fruits and veggies.
This recipe is an adaptation from one I found in my Real Simple magazine from April. I added the walnuts for more filling protein and changed the dressing around to something that was sugar free. Hope you like it! I think it’s perfect for the fall season.
Pear Walnut and Radicchio Salad
- 2 heads of radicchio
- 3 Bartlett pears
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped Walnuts, toasted
- Wash the outside of the radicchio, cut off the root nub with a knife, and tear the leaves as you would a head of lettuce and add them to a large salad bowl.
- Slice the pears lengthwise, then carve out the soft core. Add two of the sliced pears to the salad bowl with the radicchio. For the third pear, dice it into smaller pieces.
- To toast the walnuts, add them to a dry sautee pan (no oil) and set the heat to medium low. Cook them until you can smell a toasty aroma coming from the pan, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the walnuts over the radicchio and pears the salad bowl. Put the remaining walnuts in a food processor along with the mustard, vinegar, and diced pear. Puree until well combined and slightly thick, adding water if needed.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 215mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 11gSugar: 27gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information provided is only estimate.