It’s been an unusually cold season, and so we’ve been craving comfort foods like this slow cooker Guinness Beef Stew. A slow cooker is so easy to prep in the morning, and the whole house ends up smelling so wonderful that I look forward to dinner all day. There’s nothing like a hearty Irish stew to stave off the cold!
This recipe is modified from a card I picked up at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin during our guided food tour of Ireland. What I loved about their Guinness Beef Stew is the simplicity of the ingredients. While Irish stew is typically made in a dutch oven, it was easy to modify for a slow cooker in order to save some time in the kitchen.
TIP: While you could make mashed potatoes from scratch, there’s no shame in saving time with dry mashed potatoes. They’re just as delicious.
Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew
- 1 1/2 lbs stewing diced beef
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 bottle Guinness Draught Stout
- 1 large carrot - diced
- 1 large parsnip - diced
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 2 celery stalks - quartered
- springs of fresh thyme and rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- mashed potatoes to serve on the side.
- Prep all the vegetables by washing and dicing. It will be approximately 1 cup of each, but it is okay if it is a little less or a little more since you're making a stew.
- Layer all the ingredients into a slow cooker, starting with the onions, then the beef, carrot, parsnip, celery, salt, pepper, and sprigs of rosemary and thyme. (Save a little bit of the herbs for garnish.)
- Pour beef stock and Guinness over all the ingredients and set the slow cooker on high heat for a minimum of 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove the celery stalks and springs of herbs (it is okay if some of the rosemary and thyme leaves have fallen off into the stew.)
- Spoon into bowls and serve with mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 772mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g
Nutritional information provided only an estimate.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT on your EASY DINNERS or SLOW COOKER Board! 🙂