With blueberry season in full swing here in Florida, we had to get out to our local farm for the u-pick season and to sip some of their delicious blueberry lemonade! Southern Hill Farms seemed to up the ante this year when it comes to food because we also devoured some of their irresistible blueberry donuts (seriously, you can’t eat just one) and blueberry frosé — a frozen rosé with blueberries. The frosé had the consistency of a slushy (but for adults, of course), and was really refreshing to sip on a warm day. I’m going to have to try and make that next!
Since I came home with six pounds of blueberries, I dug up some of my blueberry recipes and experimented with making blueberry lemonade. I started with the blueberry sauce I use on pancakes, and then since Pete and I are kind of addicted to La Croix, I decided to add some bubbly and make it a sparkling lemonade. We’re always mixing a little juice with sparkling water and calling it “fancy water.” Well, this recipe for sparkling blueberry lemonade creates a whole pitcher of fancy water.
How To Make Blueberry Sauce
The reason I like to use the sauce instead of raw blueberries is because cooking the blueberries brings out more flavor and enhances the color too. I’ve got the sauce I used to make this lemonade included in my blueberry pancakes recipe, but if you want to have it here for quick reference, here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- juice from one lemon
Add the blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice to a saucepan on medium heat. Stir the blueberries for 4 to 5 minutes and cook until the berries have popped. As is, warm right off the stove, it is delicious on pancakes and any extra will keep in the refrigerator for a week. See the recipe below for how to make blueberry lemonade.
- 2 1/4 cups of fresh blueberries
- 5 - 7 fresh lemons for juice (makes about one cup)
- 1 lemon, sliced for garnish
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups club soda or sparkling water
- 2 cups of ice
- 3-4 mint sprigs for garnish
- Add 2 cups of blueberries, 2 Tbsp of sugar, and juice from 1 lemon to a saucepan on medium heat. Stir the blueberries for 4 to 5 minutes and cook until the berries have popped. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- While waiting for the blueberry sauce to cool, juice the rest of the lemons and pour into a glass serving pitcher. Pour sugar into lemon juice and stir until dissolved.
- Next, blend blueberry sauce in blender until smooth. Then pour sauce through a sieve into a glass pitcher to remove blueberry skins.
- Add ice to the pitcher, then slowly pour the club soda over the ice and lemon blueberry juice, being careful not create too much foam at the top.
- Gently stir with a spoon, then serve with lemon slices and blueberries as garnish.
- Gently stir with a spoon.
This sparkling blueberry lemonade tastes great with a splash of vodka for backyard barbecue entertaining. I'd suggest freezing some blueberries to use at the "ice" in your boozy blueberry lemonade version.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 31mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 5gSugar: 47gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information provided only an estimate.
Fun Ways To Modify Your Blueberry Lemonade
- Make It A Single! If you have some blueberry sauce in the refrigerator and just want to make one for yourself as a single serve, here’s what you do: Add the juice of one lemon, 1 tbsp blueberry sauce, and 1 tbsp sugar to a glass and stir well. Then add one cup of sparkling water. Top with ice and enjoy!
- Make It Boozy! This sparkling blueberry lemonade tastes great with a splash of vodka for backyard barbecue entertaining. I’d suggest freezing some blueberries to use at the “ice” in your boozy blueberry lemonade version.
- Make It Quick! Don’t have time to squeeze fresh lemon juice, but you’ve got some blueberry sauce on hand? Just use 1 cup of store bought lemonade (I won’t judge) in the recipe above. We all need a little time saver every now and then.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Blueberry & Brie Burgers
- Blueberry Citrus Scones
- Homemade Blueberry Granola
- Mint Lemonade
Want to save blueberry lemonade recipe for later? Pin it!
Originally published in 2018. Updated in 2020.